Associations The Magician:
Hebrew Letter: Beth
- The Magician’s staff is raised upwards with his right hand, and his left hand points to earth. He does this because he acts as a bridge from the spiritual plane to the physical plane we live in.
- Symbols of eternity: The sideways eight above his head, and the snake eating his tail around his waist.
- His alter has representations of all four Major Arcana suits to show he has mastered them all.
- Duality: roses with thorns and pure white lilies.
The Number 1
About the Magician
The Magician has fully mastered the ability bring ideas to reality thought the focused, conscious use of developed skills. The tools on his/her table represent the devices that the Magician uses to develop or shape the intended goal.
The Magician embodies our ability to take power from the Universe, and channel it deliberately into our desired goals.
Tarot Card Readings: What does The Magician Mean?
General Upright Interpretation
This card is about focus and taking action. You know what needs to be done. DO IT. Use your talents to carry out your plans. These results are “magical” to others because they do not have your unique skill set, and cannot do what you do.
This card urges you to make sure you know what your motivations are and that you truly understand your intentions. Your focus on your goal should feel centered, without distractions, and you should feel completely committed.
General Reverse Interpretation
Using your skills knowingly for the wrong reasons. You are actively manipulating, deceiving, and taking advantage of the people around you.
Alternatively, this card could be that you have well developed skills which are not being used, and should be.
Journaling Prompts for The Magician
- How can my actions this month bring me success in the future?
- What skills or tools do I use with mastery?
- Which of these skills are helping me the most to manifest my desires?
- What is hindering my manifestation?
- What are the goals I am currently prioritizing? How can I be better focused at achieving these goals?
Additional Interpretation Prompts for The Magician
Not Using the Rider-Waite-Smith Tarot Deck?
Just because you’re not using the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, doesn’t mean you can’t use the resources on this site to help you.
Take some time to look at the imagery on your card.
Here are some things to consider in addition to other materials you have to help you connect with the deck you are using if your deck is different than the one featured at the top of the page:
- What serves as the Magician’s workspace?
- What kinds of “tools” are present, items the Magician would use or manipulate to achieve a goal?
- Match each tool with the four elements: Water, Air, Earth, Fire.
- How is the connection from the spiritual plane to the physical plane shown?
- What symbols of infinity are present?
From the Blog
How to Map Out the Year Ahead: A New Year’s Tarot Spread features a sample reading with The Magician as the outcome card.
More Learning Resources